Saturday, February 1, 2014

Day 29, in which we discover that we are amateurs

We are in Key West, which is a pretty damned fine place. Some people suggested to us that it was too commercial, or too schlocky, or something. (I think these must have been the same people who said Rome was too hot and dirty; then, when we were there... it was magical.  Key West might be like that.)  I'm sure that if we had been here in the 20's...or the 30's, or the 70's, or whatever... we would know how this just isn't what it used to be. But we weren't.  And we don't. So all we know is, this big campground, which is way too crowded and close, is very friendly, and festive. And an easy place to be.  And this town, which is too much...whatever...is very relaxed and easy going, and pretty damned easy to hang around.

In the meantime, we are thinking we are all that, because we are eating our meals at home and not going for the schlocky or the fancy and spending so much money.   We have figured out in the time we have been traveling that we can eat well on less money. We can find a local fish store and buy 3/4 of a pound of fish to grill, and it is just right. We can buy our own wine, and drink it at dinner for a half, or a third, of what we would pay at a restaurant, and like it better than what we could afford out. We have discovered that at Publix you can buy steam-in-the bag vegetables and brown rice that cook in the microwave. We have our easy-to-clean tablecloth, and candles, and plastic wine glasses that are
ALMOST like real glasses. When we leave home, we have learned that you can have a drink in the fancy hotel with the best view...without sleeping there, and then come home and make dinner.  We thought we had it all figured out. A little easy elegance on the road?  I was feeling pretty puffed up about how are getting it all figured out.  And then today, in my walk in the campground, I started looking at all the campsites here.  There are a lot of people who are doing what we are doing, and really as a way of life. AND....they taking it just a little bit farther. They've got the outdoor carpet
outside their door.  They've got their chairs outside, not just under the awning, like us, but with a little fence around,  to mark their space. They have a little sign that says George and Carol, from Georgia, are here. They have little lights around the palm tree near their site, or across their awning.  They
have an OUTSIDE TV set up in their little porch, so they can sit outside in their little space, with their beverage, and watch a movie!  I think I am just realizing.... I am out of my league.






I can't decide if I'm supposed to be like them. Should I quick go out somewhere and find the rIght indoor/outdoor carpet for outside the front door?  Should we get the right tschotchkies?  Lights? Or should I embrace my amateur status and revel in being one of the Regular People? All I know is...that it's a pretty sweet life, being in a nice spot in the world, living a nice life, but not getting too ahead of myself about what I should be doing. Spending some time thinking it's all pretty easy.

But I AM  thinking about some nice little white lights to mark our spot...

No comments:

Post a Comment